Call Today 913.558.3000

Mold has been around for thousands of years. It floats in the air like pollen. It has become an issue in recent history due to modern construction materials & practices. Today our homes are built to be energy efficient so they don’t experience air exchanges like homes used to. If air is trapped in a home and there is water available for the mold or even elevated humidity we have an ideal environment for mold growth.
In addition to that, today we use materials like sheetrock instead of lath & plaster and mold loves to eat the paper on sheetrock. You see, mold’s job in the eco-system is to break down organic material like leaves & trees. So when mold starts eating the paper on your sheetrock it’s just doing its job.
The problem is not just that mold can eat away at your house, breathing too many mold spores can be harmful to your health. Molds can be allergens, toxigens & pathogens. Some molds produce mycotoxins, which can be really bad. The bottom line is that you don’t want mold in your home.


Can I just use bleach to get rid of the mold?
The EPA does not recommend bleach. First of all bleach is very caustic and if mixed with any cleaner that has ammonia in it can create a toxic gas. In addition, though it may appear that the bleach has eliminated the mold, many times the mold will come back. The reason is mold’s root structure (Hyphae) actually grows into the wood and drywall. Water can penetrate the construction materials but the ion structure of bleach prevents it from penetrating the host and not killing the roots.

Can I just spray something else on it?
No. What we have to ascertain is why the mold is there in the first place. If we get rid of the mold but don’t change the conditions that led to its growth the mold will just come back.

How can you make sure the mold doesn’t come back?
Again a big part of our job is to determine why there is mold there in the first place. If we eliminate the conditions that are conducive to it’s growth then when we get rid of the mold it will stay gone.

Why is mold a problem?
Mold can be an allergen a pathogen and a toxigen. It can lead to a host of health problems. Too much exposure is just not healthy. in addition, the odor of mold can attract termites!

Isn’t “Black Mold” the only bad mold?
No. When someone says “Black Mold” they’re usually talking about Stachybotrys. Since it has been given a lot of attention in the press people tend to think that it’s the only mold that is harmful & that is far from the truth.

What about mold test kits?
Save your money. Typically a test kit will only tell you that there are mold spores present. We already know that mold spores typically are present, much like pollen the spores travel on the air. So this doesn’t really help. The EPA does not recommend mold test kits.

I’m buying a new home, should I have a mold inspection?
Absolutely! If you’re going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a home it would be wise to invest a little money to find out if there are any mold concerns before you buy. If mold is detected before you buy more than likely the seller will pay for the treatment. If you don’t find out until after you move in, it’s going to be much harder if not impossible to get the seller to pay which means you will be paying for it yourself. A small inspection fee could literally save you thousands of dollars.

How much does an inspection cost?
An inspection of your entire home, interior & exterior, from the attic to the basement by our certified mold inspector along with our certified mold detection dog plus a written report and a bid for remediation if applicable, is only $200 for homes under 3,000 square feet and  $250.00 for homes 3000 square feet and over. If professional treatment is needed and you use our company for the treatment, we will deduct the inspection fee of $200 from the cost of the treatment. If you have an obvious mold issue that requires professional treatment and all you want is a bid, we will gladly give you a verbal bid for FREE!


DGM Certifications Master 200x200